Here's what you do to participate in a Presbycast call-in:
- DM your email address to CW, Wresby, or the Presbycast Twitter accounts.
(use a Gmail address if you have one)
- Watch for an email within 30 minutes before/after the appointed time.
- You will be joining a private Google Hangout/Youtube live event. It cannot
be viewed by the public while live or at anytime after -- only visible to invitees.
We rip the show audio from the Youtube file.
- Click on the link in the email or Google message to join the event.
- In the Hangout window you may need to do a couple of things:
- Click on the GEAR button (top middle of window) to select your microphone, audio output, and
webcam (if desired) and save:
The image above shows the mic muted and the camera turned off -- you may need to click those. You may also want to click the level meter icon between the camera and gear and turn down the video quality to enhance bandwidth and audio quality.
- It is up to you whether you turn your webcam on or off -- it is not necessary for participation but can aid interaction. If your camera is on you will be visible to other participants. If someone's camera is off you will just see an icon with a name.
- We'll call on you and unmute you at the appropriate time. You can introduce
yourself with whatever name you want to go by. You may share as much or as
little about yourself as you like, but it is preferable for you to use your
- IMPORTANT TECHNICAL TIPS:
- Use a headset or external mic if possible! iPhones, iPads, or smartphones with
earbud mics work pretty well.
- Lean near your mic if you use a built-in.
- Shut all other applications if possible. This will free up RAM and bandwidth
which improves audio quality.
And...DON'T BE NERVOUS -- have fun!